Loom Bands – Some Facts, Benefit and Safety Issues From A Mom’s Point of View

Posted on Jul 7 2014 - 11:01pm by tweenselmom
duchess loom band

Even royalties wear loom band bracelets!
photo credits to daily mail.co.uk (linked to orig. article)

Loom Bands is definitely the “in” thing these days, I wouldn’t doubt that. Though my kids had been delayed in getting crazy about loom bands, they were still hooked on them big time. As a  mom who is always curious on what her kids are getting into, I decided to do some digging about loom bands, where they came from, how beneficial they are in reality and some safety issues which my husband and I were starting to worry about.

inventor of loom bands

Cheong Choon Ng (inventor of rainbow looms) and his family
photo credit to fortunefeatures.wordpress.com

It’s a multi-million dollar business started by a dad. This art craft makes some serious money and as I found out, it was invented by a Malaysian engineer father in 2011 because he wished to create something fun for his family to tinker about. And his children are tweens, like mine. You can check out more about his story here.

The original brand is called Rainbow Loom and a box of it is considerably more expensive than the one I bought for my kids to start their hobby.  I saw the original brand from Toys R Us and it costs P700 above while the one I bought from 2014 Toy Convention was only P200.

Even royalties like the Duchess of York wear loom band bracelets!

Benefits

loombands

Let’s Volt In!

I gave in to my daughters’ request to join the bandwagon because of the reason that my kids don’t have that much skills using their hands. I thought seeing all these rubber band twisting will make them use their fingers more often. My two kids also need that kind of recreation which can improve their relationship. With their 2 year age gap, I notice that they start to squabble more often than being at peace with each other. When we got the loom bands, I saw them watching You Tube videos together and the elder sister teaching more difficult twists to the younger one.

Issues

As of the two weeks we had the loom bands in the house, I must say that I was successful in controlling my daughter’s time management issues. They can only touch these bands during the weekends and they agreed. They couldn’t help talking much about it, requesting me to give some money so they can buy some loom bands sold by their classmates, and once in a while, checking in the bracelets they have made for themselves, for me and their dad. I guess I don’t see these loom bands bad at all.

I just have two issues so far. First is the storage issue and the second is its safety, safety of our puppy Chewie.

Storage Issues

We don’t have so much space at home and I see this hobby as longer lasting than the previous hobbies they had. They want to buy more bands and sometimes, I find the colors too cute that I think there will be days that I will be giving in. We have serious storage space problems as our house is getting smaller as my kids become bigger.

Pet Safety

The public has already been made aware by various pet and environmental organizations, PAWS and EcoWaste Coalition about instances of pet injuries due to loom bands. Our pet shih-tzu Chewie has actually ingested some already despite our strict policy that they can only work on their loom bands inside the room. Our pet is not allowed inside the bedroom but still, he was able to ate some. One day he got ill and we saw that his vomit had some digested loom bands, gross! You can check some of the articles regarding these safety issues at https://ph.news.yahoo.com/public-warned-dangers-loom-band-craze-220021063.html and http://forcechange.com/99779/ban-hazardous-rainbow-loom-toy.

Conclusion

Loom Bands offer so much benefits when it comes to creativity, developing motor skills and socialization. Actually I find the loom band workshops as a definite way to take loom banding to the next level. However, like other crafting projects, parents must be aware and be careful when it comes to teaching kids their priorities and cleaning up their thrash.

What about you? Ever caught the loom band bug yet? Share me your experience and concerns about loom bands, maybe I missed something.

20 Comments so far. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. liz a July 8, 2014 at 1:27 pm - Reply

I haven’t join in the bandwagon but my niece makes loom bands, too, and i asked her to make one for me. 😀
    One issue i heard about this is being a health hazard. I heard that those bands being sold in “bangketas” are considered “fake” and may contain high levels of lead.
    i guess just to be on the safe side, even if the bands being sold in legit stores are quite expensive, buy those instead. At least you can be assured of the durability of the bands as well as the safety of one’s health. 😀

• TweenselMom July 8, 2014 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Thanks for visiting my blog liz! I do agree, that usually, fake brands pose health disadvantages. As loom bands do not have FDA licenses, parents should take extra care in knowing if the products have high lead content.

2. cyberjeannie August 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm - Reply

Hi ,I am a mum to twins -one who loves loom bands as do I ! Its been a bonding experience with my daughter and gets her off her phone and the computer .My concern is that loom charms have recently been tested for a very high level of lead and phthalates .not the original rainbow loom bands they are 100% safe and expensive but great quality,no its the cheap imitations everywhere you look.they have mentioned this in the papers about the loom charms but not the loom bands themselves. I have googled this but no mention of safety or tests done in cheap loom bands which I find worrying.
    I have been scouring the shops and ebay for cheap loom bands and my advice is this -Do not buy them if there is no address of the company that makes them. they are of inferior quality and snap ,the bands that are scented I would stay away from as well .
    Here other than The real rainbow loom bands are some safe reputable companies that I have found to sell loom bands
    DIY fashion loom bands
    Daisy loombands
    Rainbow Braid
    Ebus (on E bay)
    these four brands all have LEAD free printed on their packet with a barcode and a contact for the company
    what is worrying is all the packets out there with no lead free statement .
    I do not want loom bands banned as they are brilliant,I just want to see stringent testing and for the cheap imitations that are dangerous to be reported as false advertising and to be struck off as retailers as they are endangering childrens health.

• TweenselMom August 22, 2014 at 10:53 pm - Reply

I agree with you Jeannie. As parents we always want to make sure that everything’s safe. Sometimes the seemingly harmless ones are actually the most damaging in the long run. Thanks for visiting my blog and I do hope that there are groups or agencies who will take care of this concern.

3. Robin Rue August 28, 2014 at 12:44 pm - Reply

My kids were into the loom bracelet craze when it hit about a year ago. It died down as quickly as it started up around here, though, I am afraid.

4. BellaVida August 28, 2014 at 2:29 pm - Reply

Great point. I wasn’t aware of all the issues and dangers but these are great tips.

5. Misty Marie Battle August 28, 2014 at 3:40 pm - Reply

My kids LOVE their rainbow loom. I think it is a wonderful tool for them to create with. I have no idea how they work that thing and make cool bracelets. My fingers just won’t go lol. The only downside is the spare bands flying around and on the ground. Lucky my cats are snobs and won’t eat off the ground.

6. Teresa McCluskey August 28, 2014 at 4:33 pm - Reply

I am bad want to buy this for myself!! I am a grown woman hahaha! But they look so cool and fun!

7. Mickie Hinds August 28, 2014 at 5:15 pm - Reply

My daughter loves these and they share them at cheer practices and to wear before games. She’s in Kindergarten so I don’t worry about her putting them in her mouth, but I agree about pets. Our Australian Shepherd has torn a few up!

8. Sara August 28, 2014 at 5:57 pm - Reply

I’ve been tempted to buy these for my niece, they look like a great craft that *might pry her away from social media…

9. Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell August 28, 2014 at 6:39 pm - Reply

We missed the loom band craze because my kids are older. However, I know they would have enjoyed it!

10. Joanna Sormunen August 29, 2014 at 12:14 am - Reply

My son hasn’t gotten into the craze. He’s too hyperactive for it I think.

11. Stefany @ ToBeThode August 29, 2014 at 12:59 am - Reply

We have the loom band craze here too. I bought a bead sorter from Walmart and that has helped with the bands being all over and keeping it in one place.

12. debbie jean mcmullen August 29, 2014 at 3:31 am - Reply

LOL I love that you have to set limits on the loom bands! I think they look great, though I can imagine the disastrous mess that could potentially ensue. I love the back story too – thanks for sharing that!

13. Tanya Coffman August 29, 2014 at 9:05 am - Reply

My kids missed the loom band boat – but it looks like it would be a lot of fun.

14. HeavenlySavings August 29, 2014 at 3:31 pm - Reply

My daughter went through a huge phase of making these last year. All the kids were making them and loved it. She even watched youtube videos to learn how to make fancy bracelets! This year she has not been making them very much but she will pull them out occasionally. I think they are a really cute and creative idea!

15. Maggie King August 30, 2014 at 1:13 am - Reply

Nope, no look bands here! My son isn’t really into them that much.

16. Motivating Mommy August 30, 2014 at 2:04 am - Reply

My son never got into that. I think I am glad!

17. yonawilliams August 30, 2014 at 2:11 am - Reply

Oh wow…poor puppy. Dogs are masters at getting a hold of something! I love all of the different colors that Loom Bands come in…

18. Notorious Spinks August 30, 2014 at 3:08 am - Reply

These seem like so much fun. I’ll have to look up loom bands for my girls!

Leave A Response