Sugar for me is a true gift from the Lord. I couldn’t imagine living life without sweets and I will regret it if my daughters will ever experience being hindered from enjoying sweet foods. But we all know that sugar intake should be limited even if you are the healthiest and the fittest athlete who can burn all the sugar they want to when they work out. With my husband who has diabetic family history, the risk is much higher. The sad part is, you know, that when you try to limit your sugar, the more you crave for it, right?
It’s true. Whenever I plan on losing some weight, I noticed that I am more prone of thinking what to bake or what dessert to prepare. So ironic but I guess that’s how my body tells me that I couldn’t avoid sugar.
This week, I received an answer to my worries when I received a pack of SugarBlend. It is the newest product of Merisant Company which is the parent company of popular sweetener brands such as Equal, Canderel, and Pure Via. I’ve known these brands for so many years because my in-laws are diabetic.
Sugar Blend can be used for baking, cooking and sweetening, just like the regular sugar that we use but with only half the calories. From the information kit I received, Sugar Blend contains a high-intensity sweetener called sucralose . If you check its texture, it’s like the ordinary white sugar but with very fine crystals (almost like powder). It can be used with any kind of dessert and can be mixed coffee or any kind of beverages.
The gift pack arrived in perfect timing as I’ve planned to make a no-bake chocolate cake. I needed to use a cup of sugar for the recipe. Imagine, 1 cup of sugar? And then frosting will be chocolate and base will have cocoa. It would be loaded with calories but despite this fact, I was excited because I know my kids will love it. With Sugar Blend, I get to use only half a cup but the sweetness would be the same. Ain’t it cool? I’ve shared the recipe below. No baking needed, just steaming and my kids loved the milky chocolate frosting and the chocolatey base. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup SugarBlend
- 1/2 cup fresh milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Beat the egg lightly with vanilla. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter and sugar with the milk in low heat.
- Gradually pour the butter-sugar-milk to the egg/vanilla.
- Sift the flour, baking soda and powder into the liquid combination from Steps 1-3.
- Mix and pour into a cake pan and then cover with aluminum foil.
- Steam for 45 minutes or when done. Insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, it means it's done.
- Pour all purpose cream into a sauce pan and onto low-heat fire.
- When it is warm enough, mix the chocolate chips. Mix until chocolates are fully melted.
- Remove from fire and let the frosting cool down. Wait till it thicken before spreading it all over the cake.