Pesto pasta, I just found out, is one of many’s favorite alternative pasta dish from the usual red sauce and white sauce pasta. But most of us only eat pesto pasta from Italian restaurants or spaghetti houses.
Luckily, Contadina makes it easy for us moms now to make our own pesto pasta dishes. I was just craving for that pesto taste when I saw my Contadina Pesto sitting comfortably on my pantry. And since I also have a stock of Jolly mushrooms, and a brick of Eden cheese, but all my meat were frozen, I thought why not make a no-meat pasta dish.
So without further ado, here’s my recipe.
- 500g Dona Elena Al Dente Penne Rigate
- 1/2 bottle (190g) Contadina Pesto
- 1 can of Jolly Mushrooms Champignon
- 1 bulb of onion for sauteeing
- 2 tbsp of butter
- salt, pepper and Ajinomoto Ginisa for seasoning
- shredded Eden (kesong puti will also be delicious in this dish)
- Boil penne till they are tender as per instruction on packaging
- Drain pasta and set aside
- Drain Jolly Mushroom Champignon and set aside
- Slice the onion and then sautee in butter
- Mix in the Jolly Mushroom and continue sauteeing
- Slowly spoon out and mix Contadina Pesto to the mushroom and onion
- Season with salt, pepper and Ajinomoto Ginisa
- Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes and then remove from fire
- Mix the pesto sauce to the drained penne
- Put the shredded cheese on top and then serve warm
The good thing about this dish is that you can choose to serve and eat this without meat or you can just mix in your favorite ingredients : fried chicken slices, tuna flakes, broccoli, shrimp or you might want to put in clams or shells! You can also freely adjust the amount of Contadina Pesto on your pasta to suit your taste. Some of us want the deep pesto taste while some just like the hint of it.
For more of my tried and tested recipes, click here. Enjoy!