Most parents has this notion that having crooked teeth only affects their children’s physical appearance. But there are worse effects which should be considered. Medical findings show that having crooked teeth not only affects a person’s dental health but the overall health as well.
When teeth are crowded or widely spaced, there are more rooms for bacteria to grow. Using toothbrush and floss may not be that effective because corners and crannies between crooked teeth are difficult to reach. This often times require parents to bring their kids to the dentists for unscheduled oral cleaning.
If crooked teeth are left untreated, tooth decay and periodontal diseases may cause bad breath, bleeding gums, mouth sores and tooth loss.
Here are more conditions why you should be concerned about having crooked teeth:
- Gum diseases – This is a common result of crooked teeth. When your gums don’t fit securely around your teeth, bacteria begins to grow and eventually becomes plaque.
- Difficulty in cleaning the teeth – Crowded teeth are difficult to clean. Sometimes, when parents are not able to supervise their child’s tooth brushing, kids develop cavities which can get worse and cause toothaches.
- Worn out tooth enamel – Crooked teeth causes improper bite which in turn can wear the tooth enamel.
- Difficulty on chewing – Protruding lower and upper teeth rub together and prevents normal jaw alignment. This makes it difficult for kids to chew their food properly.
- Tooth injury – Crooked teeth are more likely to crack in case of accident.
- Low self-esteem – Kids with crooked teeth has less self-confidence. You may notice some kids avoid smiling freely to hide their teeth.
- Other serious ailments – Oral infections caused by bacteria may lead to heart ailments, diabetes and pneumonia.
These are just some of the reasons why you need to have your child’s teeth checked if you see that they are not properly aligned (“sungki”). Seeking help from dental professionals will ensure that you child’s dental future is in the proper hands. The dentist will evaluate your child’s dental history for signs that are causing the incorrect dental alignment.
Here in the Philippines, Green Apple MRC Clinic offers alternatives to aligning teeth rather than just using braces. They use removable appliances made through cutting edge technology. Corrective treatments for crooked teeth can range from wearing Myobrace appliances to kid-friendly therapies. Myobrace is a removable dental appliance that is worn for just 1-2 hours at daytime and while sleeping at night. You can find more articles here about Myobrace.
Our teeth serves as a window to our body’s health. How you or your kids gums and teeth look like when you smile tells a lot about your overall health.